Action 233 on party status, stuck

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:35:25 -0700
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/actions/233

I had an action item to do a minor edit here:  express in the TPE two simple requirements:

* don't claim to be a first party if you don't meet the rules for being one
* behave in accordance with the rules for the party status you (legitimately) claim

However, Roy has drafted the 'claims' to be NOT "I am a first party" but "I intended this resource to be used in a first-party context".  The reason is clear: the definition of what constitutes a first party is subjective and not amenable to machine derivation (by either the server or user-agent).  The best that the server can do is express what it expects and intends.  (Roy might pitch in if he feels I am mis or under representing him).

Under these circumstances, the first requirement above is moot: if the server expected this content to be used in a first-party context, it's probably not responsible if someone goes ahead and embeds it on another site.

So, I am unsure of whether action-233 is, in fact, addressable.

David Singer