Re: "cross-site"

John,

The FTC Commissioners voted to release the FTC staff report on Behavioral Advertising in February 2009.  Clearly, they supported the staff position that there is a difference in user expectations with regard to first and third parties.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/02/behavad.shtm

What's more is that the FTC's recently-issued revisions to the COPPA rules (which govern kids-oriented sites) include a provision for sites to collect personal information without triggering any of COPPA's requirements so long as the data is used for "internal operations" of the site. Again, the FTC recognizes a difference between first and third parties.

In addition, many of the privacy bills introduced in the US Congress include provisions to differentiate between first and third party uses of data.

On the whole, if you were to discard the views of extreme fringes of both sides of the political spectrum, you would find a broad middle ground that understands first and third parties have different relationships with consumers and have different uses of data, and, therefore, should be treated differently in any workable standard.

Sincerely,

Chris Pedigo
VP, Government Affairs
Online Publishers Association