Re: Issue-4

On Nov 9, 2011, at 11:23 , Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 8 nov. 2011 à 20:11, David Singer a écrit :
>> In general, protocols are designed such that default values can also be explicitly stated, and currently we don't have a "not stated" explicit value, either.  Do we need one ("DNT:<blank>", perhaps)?
>

> what about a simpler no DNT header == not stated.

well, that's where we are today.  I don't mind, I am just pointing it out that the more usual technique is to say, in a protocol, something like:

"The optional field 'meadow' can take the following values: grass, clover, corn, or mixed;  if the field is not stated, 'mixed' is the default value."  That is, the assumed default is also a permitted explicit statement.

> It would give the possibility of a service along
> "We noticed that your DNT header was not set,
> if you put it on, it means blah
> if you put it off, it means foo
> you can leave it undefined, it means bloubiboulga."

"We noticed your header was missing, or set explicitly to "declined to state".  There are advantages to an explicit statement…"

David Singer