RE: Should we treat 1st and 3rd parties differently?

I appreciate the feedback.  However, I still maintain that cross tracking also prevents collection and retention of data from multiple sites tied to the same user (device etc...).  It does not prevent collection and retention of data collected on multiple sites, it prevents collection and retention of the data that enables a service to link them together.  In other words, do not cross track does not simply mean do not use data collected from 2 different sites together, but it also means, make sure that any data collected from the multiple sites CANNOT be used together.  IE - each site must have different visitor ids,  or data from each site must be siloed logically or technically such that it cannot be stitched together.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 7:00 PM
To: Kevin Smith
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Should we treat 1st and 3rd parties differently?

* Kevin Smith wrote:
>I don't actually consider that to be a misnomer.  That is exactly what
>I believe cross tracking to mean.  Do not mix data from this site with
>data from that site.  So, Do Not Cross Track would not prevent
>tracking, just cross-tracking.

Well, "tracking is the collection and retention of transactional data"
per the current draft of the "compliance" specification, with various caveats, but that is the gist of it. I think it is misleading to say "tracking" is about collection and retention but cross-tracking covers only usage. If you'd call this something like "no usage of cross-site tracking data", that would be much clearer.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de