RE: Re ISSUE-26: When a 3rd party becomes a 1st party

I would like to point out that logged in users find value from 3rd-party widgets that inform them when friends and family members like an article, restaurant or hotel in which a consumer may be interested. I would hate to see us stifle innovation that is seen as valuable to consumers.

JC
Twitter<http://twitter.com/jccannon7>

From: Shane Wiley [mailto:wileys@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:41 AM
To: Dave Singer
Cc: Jeffrey Chester; Bryan Sullivan; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: RE: Re ISSUE-26: When a 3rd party becomes a 1st party

David,

I share your view on this point but obviously not "all" of us do.  :)

Thus far, the general consensus has been that an impression of a 3rd party widget must be treated as a 3rd party situation (seen but not touched, so to speak).  If there is "meaningful interaction" (not just a mouse over), then this should be treated as a 1st party situation if several additional conditions are met: 1) prominent branding of the 1st party (in some cases, such as the FB Like button, I would argue this already has prominent branding without saying "Facebook") and 2) a link to that parties home page / privacy policy.

Jonathan and I led a detailed discussion on this topic several months ago - and it's based on that string that I draw the conclusion of "general consensus".

- Shane