Re: Github repo structure/organisation

On 03/03/2015 14:48, Rick Byers wrote:
> Yeah this has bothered me as well.  My thinking was that we should wait
> and see what we decide to do about any possible new normative changes.
> If we decide as a group to create a v2 spec (with the extensions and new
> normative changes), then that becomes the version on master (probably
> the only branch we'd mostly be concerned with), and the problem goes
> away.  Right?
>
> I'm not opposed to moving things around in the interim if others want to
> do that.  Eg. we could rename the TEE to 'touchevents-extensions.html'
> and then move the v1-errata doc to master as 'touchevents.html' (or
> rename it as well).

I've seen varying philosophies for how to work master/branches. On some
projects, master is always the latest stable published version (so in
our case, the TE and TEE that are currently published on W3C) and any
further development happens in branches (so v1-errata, which would then
ideally be slightly renamed v1-touch-events-errata perhaps); in other
projects, like Bootstrap, master is always the freshest, most up-to-date
work, branches are only used to work on things before they're good to
merge into the latest work on master, and versions are tagged/labelled
(so master would start off with the published version of TE/TEE, be
tagged as v1.0, and then any further development also goes on master).

I'm not particularly married to either of these approaches (though
perhaps seeing the work that's already happened so far, the first one -
master contains the published W3C versions, branches contain errata
work) may be a more natural progression. But in both cases, what we
definitely should strive for is to have both TE and TEE in the master
branch - either as just sibling html files, or actually making two
separate directories in the root folder for each.

(And I have no idea how much work either approach would require in terms
of rewriting Git history etc, so one approach may be more obvious/less
time consuming than the other...)

Patrick H. Lauke