background box tweaking (was Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

> == Background box tweaking ==
>
> Demo: http://people.opera.com/philipj/2014/03/vttscroll/background.html
>
> WebVTT doesn't do a good job with the cue background right now. The
> only thing you can put a background on is the line box. One small
> improvement to this would be to allow a background on the cue box
> instead. This demo does exactly that, and visually it looks the same
> as a single region background.

There is a difference between the background on the cue and the
background on the region. CEA708 distinguishes between the two.

I've already changed the WebVTT spec a while ago to allow putting a
color on the background box, see: "the properties corresponding to the
'background' shorthand must be applied to the WebVTT cue background
box rather than the List of WebVTT Node Objects."

That works well for individual cues. It works badly for groups of cues
that are in a region. Try zooming the page in and out with your demo.
At some points you will see a line going through the otherwise solid
box. That's because we're faking a solid square through its individual
line components. That's bound to come back and hurt us, in particular
if somebody decides to make the individual lines not the same width.

I'm not a fan of faking it in this way.

Cheers,