Re: 608 samples

Giovanni Galvez is still there and still super helpful.
Their software is widely used in the industry for format
conversion.

We host one of their demo videos at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqPe-IceP4

and I'm sure Giovanni can send you the corresponding SCC
files for that or any other demo video they have.  The reason
I suggest SCC is that this format contains the raw 608 essence
that we care about; in fact, this is YouTube's preferred upload
format for movie/TV content.  If you want to know how to extract those
bytes from a video file, then you have a much harder task given
the multitude of video containers and formats.

And yes, the CFR link, while terse, does contain pretty much all
of the important bits.  The CEA documents are mostly about
XDS data, which has nothing to do with captions.  For
purposes of WebVTT conversion a much better place to start
learning about 608 is the "Closed Captioning Handbook" by Gary Robson,
which should still be available on Amazon.  I like it because it's
very readable and has so much other interesting context.

On the other hand, if you plan to implement some kind of
cable set-top box, then yes, you'll need the CEA documents
plus several other specs.

--Ken