Re: Metadata in the VTT file header (bug 15851), use cases (and a need to close this)

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> OK, there are two mechanisms we are discussing: one is to end the
>> header parsing and one to define multi-value metadata fields.
>>
>> Are you suggesting to use the same mechanism to end both?
>

> "." ends a multi-line header.  A blank line, when not contained within a
> multiline header, ends header processing.  (Additionally, for error
> handling, header processing is also ended by a line containing "-->", but
> only if it's not within a multiline header or a valid single-line header.
> It's easy to distinguish "00:01.000 --> 00:02.000" from "Style: value", as
> long as you don't allow headers to start with a digit.)

The way the spec is written now, a blank line in the middle of a
multiline header also ends the header processing. We would need to
write something special to avoid this from within a multiline header.
Instead, it would be simpler and less fragile to just end header
processing on the first valid cue IMHO.