Re: Displaying multiple lines in WebVTT

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, David Singer wrote:
> >
> > We're not writing paragraphs, such as in HTML, where inserting line
> > breaks in the source is sometimes desirable to make the source readable,
> > and then they need converting to whitespace. Cues need to be 'short'.
>
> I agree. I really don't see a problem with newlines being newlines.

I've explained the problem.  Again, it will cause most ex-SRT users to
mistakenly manually wrap lines, which will result in a much higher
percentage of low-quality, hard-wrapped content that will fall apart if the
user selects a larger font size.  People are never going to understand that
wrapping in VTT should be left to the renderer, and not done by hand like
in SRT, unless this is fixed.  With explicit line breaks, it'll be much
more obvious to people that wrapping works like HTML and not like
text/plain.

It's fairly uncommon to actually want a line break inside a caption, so the
cost to users of having to say <br> is trivially small.

--
Glenn Maynard