Re: Roll-up captions in WebVTT

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Christian Vogler wrote:

> Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_q-RRXw-vY
>
> In that video, roll-up is actually very readable and leads the eye very
> well with respect to focusing attention. No captioning or steno errors
> in this video, but I hope this gets the point across.

IMHO that's horrible compared to normal captions. It is always moving,
which means you can't read it as fast as normal captions, plus it's
continually distracting from the image.

Good captions should be so low-overheard for the viewer that the viewer
can entirely forget that he's reading captions in the first place. You
simply can't get that effect with rollup captions.