Re: How to do issue triage in web-platform-tests?

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk> wrote:

> On 08/08/17 13:49, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was speaking to Bob today about the infra
> > <https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/labels/infra> label in
> > web-platform-tests, which we've tentatively made part of the Ecosystem
> > Infra Rotation
> > <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10och6DoxEe6AhQX7MiQR8AhtjDheKIlf-GpF0impeJQ/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > but
> > haven't figured out how to turn into concrete steps.
> >
> > The purpose of bug triage is to make sure that new issues are looked at
> by
> > someone, given a priority and possibly an assignee. In crbug.com there
> are
> > lots of fields that can be used and advanced queries, but for GitHub I
> > don't know how to do it. Anyone looking to triage all new issues for any
> > other label (corresponding to a spec rather than infra) might have the
> same
> > problem.
>
> It seems like labels are probably the right way to solve this in the
> GitHub model. I'm not entirely sure what the scope of this work is going
> to be; is the idea just to ensure that all issues/PRs are labelled (i.e.
> pure triage), or to do work needed to make progress on the issue?

Here I was just thinking about initial triage, to make sure that as issues
are filed for infra, they can't go unnoticed for long, and that we decide
whether or not fixing it soon is a priority.

I'm not trying to tackle the "too many open issues" problem, although
presumably trying to do that would also involve triage based on something
other just the age of the issue.

I think we can something workable with just priority labels. What would
people like? I think that low/medium/high/urgent is the largest number of
priorities that could be useful, but 3 could also suffice.
low/medium/high/urgent would correspond fairly well to the P3-0 that
crbug.com has, would anyone mind it?