Re: UserAgent-specific files in Web Platform Tests

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:10 PM Philip Jägenstedt <foolip@google.com> wrote:

> What would WebDriver extensions look like for, say, Bluetooth? There are
> many methods in the proposed API
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nhv_oVDCodd1pEH_jj9k8gF4rPGb_84VYaZ9IG8M_WY/edit?usp=sharing>,
> so presumably about as many new commands or subcommands, and arguments and
> return values would be serialized as JSON. I assume that many of the
> (instances of) interfaces would turn into something like web elements
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/webdriver/#dfn-web-element>, that show up as
> /{element id}/ in the command URLs. I'm not familiar with how this works,
> is it like URL.createObjectURL() so that it will prevent GC and keep
> objects alive?

Strike this bit, without having looked at the implementation for elements,
we can assume that it's possible to have a weak map between id strings and
elements that will not keep things alive. This would be simple in at least
Blink, but IIRC weak pointers were a bit more work with refcounted types,
and may still be in WebKit.