Re: Windows paths

On 08/05/14 23:19, James Graham wrote:

> I wonder if it would be worth going to 150 as a limit? Does anyone else
> know of path prefix length requirements from infrastructure on which
> they want to run the tests?

I have now landed a change that keeps the whole repository under a path
length limit of 150 characters. In order to achieve this I had to move
some template element parsing tests to live with the other parsing tests
rather than with the tests for the template element semantics.
Fortunately this move was needed anyway to match the location of the
relevant requirements in the spec.

As a result I can now at least package tests on Windows. The next step
is to ensure that wptrunner works in that environment.

> In any case we need some kind of automatic enforcement here. Since we
> don't get pre-commit hooks on GitHub, I wonder if it's possible to use
> TravisCI to lint incoming test submissions. There are some other simple
> things that we could check for like trailing whitespace (with a
> whitelist of files that require it ofc).

I also made a lint script in tools/scripts/lint.py This is designed to
allow us to enforce various rules about the repository. It currently
enforces no CR at end of line and no paths > 150 characters. In the
future I plan to add tests for <script> elements pointing to
testharness.js in the wrong location, missing testharnessreport.js, and
whatever else we think of that's relatively easy to implement.

In order to deal with cases where the lint is wrong (e.g. files that
require a trailing CR as part of the test), there is a lint.whitelist
file in the same directory. This specifies a set of rules to ignore
specific errors and has some documentation inline.

In order to ensure that the lint is run, we can use TravisCI; I think
this just requires someone with appropriate permissions for the repo to
tun on the relevant hook. There is already a config file checked in that
should tell it to run the lint.