CSS Tests

On 28/04/14 14:12, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 22/04/2014 18:56 , James Graham wrote:
>> CSS, at least, currently use different repositories. I think there is a
>> considerable advantage to everyone sharing the same infrastructure, but
>> at the moment there are not concrete plans to merge the repositories.
>
> That's not actually true. There is a strong incentive for other groups
> that are producing specifications for the Web platform to merge with
> WPT, and some of us regularly harass the laggards about this. The plan
> is to have everyone there.
>
> At this point the majority of Web platform test suites are in fact in
> WPT. The biggest glaring omission (and it is a big one) is CSS. During
> the Extensible Web Summit a couple of weeks back there were discussions
> around this and the current plan is that a few changes will be made to
> CSS's repo to reshape the directory layout (I don't know the details)
> and after that is done the CSS tests will be incorporated as a "css"
> submodule in WPT. That won't reuse the submission/review infrastructure,
> but will reuse everything to do with running tests and reporting results
> and will present a unified view on testing.
>
> I don't know the status (Rebecca or Peter maybe?) but once that's done
> we really won't be missing much.

I think this is the wrong way to solve this problem. It places all the
burden of knowing that CSS behaves differently to all the other tests on
test authors, who don't benefit from the distinction. Reducing the
overhead for authors has been one of the key motivators in recent
improvements to the testing situation.

It seems to me that the desire to keep CSS seperate from other tests
comes from the CSS WG who want to have extra processes around test
submissions to help them advance their specs along the Rec. track. In
this case it makes much more sense that the CSS WG bear the cost of this
extra data. Therefore I propose that we place CSS tests in the w-p-t
repository directly and that the CSSWG occasionally copy the tests out
of w-p-t into their own infrastructure in order to use their existing
tools. Using something like git-subtree this can even be done in a way
that captures all the history of the tests, if that's important.