Re: Testing and certificates

There's not really a good way to do this that I'm aware of.

No default-trusted CA is going to be OK with issuing a certificate and then
having you pass the private key around, even for a non-public name.  They
will consider that a key compromise and revoke it. (they are actually
mandated to by the agreements they have with browsers)

I wrote the man-in-the-middle CA library that Selenium started using about
6 years ago for this, but it requires that you provision a new root into
the browser trust store.

Or you can stand up a real server with a real certificate.

For WebAppSec, I have:

1) built and distributed a VM image with browsers that have a custom CA
provisioned and certs issued off that CA installed on the server, to be
used for offline testing

2) stood up an AWS image with a real domain name and certificate on it (
https://webappsec-test.info) and I give non-root shells to people who ask,
to do online testing

GlobalSign will issue a wildcard certificate for free to open source
projects, which is what I did for #2 to save a few hundred $$, but they for
sure won't be OK with sharing the private key around.

-Brad