Re: Knowing which tests are in the repository

On 13-08-15 08:27 AM, James Graham wrote:
> As far as I know we still haven't solved the problem of determining
> which files in the repository are tests and of what type. As I
> understand it there have been two serious proposals:
>
> a) Use file naming conventions
> b) Use a manifest
>
> I think b) has a number of critical advantages, which outweigh the
> undoubted ease of authoring of a). Notably we can store extra metadata
> which is needed to run the tests such as the comparison type for
> reftests and unusually long timeouts for testharness tests.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but all the tests I've seen
in web-platform-tests have metadata right in the test-file (via <link>
and <meta> in the <head>). Why not put this "extra metadata" there as well?

(And if you *can* put all the metadata in the test-file, what are the
remaining advantages of b over a?)

-Michael