Re: About test repository structure

[ + KrisK ]

On 7/31/13 3:20 AM, ext Zhang, Zhiqiang wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/Submitting_tests#Test_Repository_Structure, the structure of the web-platform-tests repository, is addressed as
>
> .../[specification]/
> .../[specification]/[section]/test.htm
> Where:
> [specification] is the short-name of a specification as used when the spec is published as a Technical Report e.g. XMLHttpRequest, workers, webstorage
> [section] is up to three level deep sections of the spec where the test belongs. NOTE: some tests do not use the section subdirectories.
>
> I wonder if all [specification]s need [section], and follow such structure?

The "NOTE: some tests do not use the section subdirectories." text was
supposed to clarify that using section directories is not mandatory for
WebApps' specs. I just checked in a change that should make this a bit
more clear. Please review the new text and if the text is still not
clear to you, please update the document accordingly or propose some
changes and I will update the document.

> Since the upcoming Test the Web Forward Shanghai event will focus on the File API and Web Storage specifications,

This is good to know. Although PRs for all of WebApps' test suites are
welcome, with respect to priorities, it seems like webstorage is
relatively low since we already agreed the existing test suite is
sufficient to test the CR. As such, perhaps it would be more useful if
the participants at the upcoming TTWF event created tests for other
specs that have incomplete tests.

As you can see by scanning [PubStatus], some of WebApps' specs have
incomplete tests (f.ex. DOM4) and some specs have no tests at all (f.ex.
Fullscreen API, Gamepad, Input Method Editor, PointerLock, Quota
Management).

> I would like to reconstruct the structure of File API as that of Web Storage (no [section]), or as https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/262 (with [section]), if get a conclusion here.

Kris is the Test Facilitator for File API spec so I would be interested
in his feedback on the organization of that test suite (f.ex. if the
File API tests will use section numbers or not).

-Thanks, ArtB

[PubStatus] <http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/PubStatus>