Re: Simple Proposal for setting HTTP headers

On 2013-07-23 10:31, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> Hello Dirk, Ms2ger, others,
>
> On 2013/07/23 5:26, Dirk Pranke wrote:

>>> Mozilla has the requirement that tests can be run locally by our
>>> developers (volunteers as well as paid staff), and I think it's
>>> unlikely
>>> that an Apache dependency will be considered acceptable.
>
> I agree that it's good to be able to run tests locally. Actually,
> that was one of the motivations to starting this discussion; I want to
> be able to "test" the tests we are working on here locally before
> uploading them. But locally for me doesn't mean just accessing files
> in the file system, it means using HTTP locally. Otherwise, I don't
> see the point of discussing HTTP headers. And for using HTTP locally,
> one needs some kind of server.
>
> Do the Mozilla tests run locally from the file system, or over HTTP?
> If the later, what kind of server is used? If the former, how would
> HTTP headers be relevant?

Mozilla use a custom HTTP server written in javascript (using
Mozilla-specific APIs). This is part of the source so no special install
is required.

Obviously no one is suggesting using file:// for testing since that has
quite different semantics from HTTP. It already doesn't work to run even
static tests over file:// since they depend on /resources/.