From: James Graham [mailto:jgraham@opera.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:25 PM
To: HU, BIN
Cc: public-test-infra
Subject: Re: "Help" channels in terms of testing

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, HU, BIN wrote:

> Hello my friends,
>
> One of my tasks is to consolidate different channels of help in various
> aspects of testing in W3C. Here is the status quo AFAIK:
>
> Our general testing effort has been discussed in this mailing list
> "public-test-infra@w3.org" and IRC channel "#test" and "#testing".
> However, there are other channels of testing related discussions [1] [2]
> [3] [4] [5] [6], and some are very active [1] [3] [6].
>
> I want to have a discussion here about what is the best way to
> consolidate those resources, and provide everyone with a one-stop
> shopping experience if help or discussion is needed. Here are some
> initial thoughts:
>
> - Option 1: Use one mailing list and one IRC channel, and topics is
> differentiated with prefix in email subject, e.g. [General], [CSS],
> [HTML], etc.

I think this is the best idea. It is clear that the testing community is
too fractured at the moment; even when decisions are made once they get
explained multiple times; typically once on public-html-testsuite (or in
#htmlt), once on public-webapps-testsuite (or in #webapps). If CSS wasn't
even more of a ghetto we would probably have the same conversations on
public-css-testsuite. I don't even know how people in other WGs like Web
Performance and WebRTC WG are finding out things about testing. Possibly
they aren't.

Specifically I suggest we drop everything apart from public-test-infra and
#testing. Anything that is truly WG specific should go to the main WG
mailing list.