Re: W3C Testing How To slides

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Rebecca Hauck wrote:

> BTW, I nominated this topic as a session idea on the Plenary day at TPAC
> next month.
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/SessionIdeas#Moving_W3C_repositories_to_git

I see that's listed as a session for someone else to organise/lead. If no
one else wants I am quite happy to run such a session.

> On 9/19/12 9:33 AM, "Tobie Langel" <tobie@fb.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/19/12 6:27 PM, "Kris Krueger" <krisk@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it's a lot of extra work without a lot of benefit.
>>
>> I guess that depends whether we're planning to rely on the developer
>> community to significantly help with test authoring... or not.

Indeed this is a factor; github gets lots of exposure so we are much more
likely to get test contributions from authors encountering bugs in their
day-to-day work if we have a presence there. It is pretty annoying to get
to the stage of making a pull request only to be told "do some midly
compelex magic to format the patch for hg, then apply it to a different
repository". Indeed I would expect most people to give up at that point.

FWIW I strongly doubt that authors will ever be providing the majority of
testsby number or anything. But their tests are valuable because they come
from actual problems they have experienced. So I really don't think it is
wise to operate in our own ghetto.