Re: Strange section importing issue with the framework server

On May 30, 2012, at 8:03 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to debug a problem that the framework is having importing sections from specifications. To take an example, try heading to:
>
>    http://w3c-test.org/framework/app/spec/device-orientation/sections
>
> If you click "Submit updated sections" (you'll probably need to have logged in — your usual credentials apply), you'll see it freezes. Looking at what's going on over the network, it's receiving the following raw text sent as application/json:
>
> [[
> Updated section 1: 'Conformance requirements'
> Updated section 2: 'Introduction'
> Updated section 3: 'Scope'
> {"errors":["ERROR: Unknown parent section '4' for '4.1'"]}
> ]]
>
> Two things are bothering me here.
>
> First, the code that calls the importer (which is producing these errors) intercepts the error messages and should normally wrap them up as JSON. When I try on my local machine to return some errors, that works and the client side gets a real JSON-encoded error.
>
> Second — and more annoying — I can't get the error to reproduce on my local machine, with the same spec. The importer on the server is clearly facing a problem of some kind in processing the spec, but the very same code with the very same spec just works here. I can't for the life of me figure out why.
>
> Has any of you seen this before?

Robin: it looks like that error is coming from the underlying SectionImport.php script. It's complaining that its not finding an entry in the sections table for section 4. My guess is that the sections table on your local machine is not in sync with that on the server.

There are a few problems with the underlying section import code, mostly it doesn't handle sections getting moved around too well. I have some code fixes for that, but there's more work to be done on it (there are cases where the test links need to be remapped and the current code just punts)). With any luck I can get to it next week.

Peter