Re: Versioning for testharness.js?

On 03/31/2011 02:51 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> The Web Performance group is asking whether we can keep various
> mercurial versions of http://w3c-test.org/resources/testharness.js.
>
> ie, in order to prevent having the performance tests breaking every time
> a change is done on testharness.js, they'd like to be able to write
> something like
>
> http://w3c-test.org/resources/testharness.js?version=<mercurial-changeset-id>
>
> It seems a good idea even though I'd like to give some guarantees of
> stability for testharness.js in a not-so-far future. We could even do
> this on-demand, ie unless you request a specific version, we won't
> bother creating the file on the server side.

I don't think this is a good way to solve this problem. IMO, when
changing the harness, we should keep the existing tests working for at
least a few weeks, though not indefinitely. In any case, once there's a
serious body of tests, we'll have to stop messing with the harness
unless serious bugs are found.

Ms2ger