Re: Unlocking the Path for Product and Policy Users: Practical Integration of DCAT and ODRL

Thank you very much to all who have shown interest and attended the calls. I apologise that I underestimated the demo time, but if anyone wants a ‘longer more detailed’ demo, just shout.

Also, thank you to those who have put me in contact with organisations to provide further demonstrations for the integration of DCAT & ODRL.

A couple of the questions that were raised:

Can I make this available as a playground?
Unfortunately, there are a couple of licences that can’t be used outside development, so at this stage, it is not feasible.

When available how it works?
A small “user” environment will be built for a handful of selected users (when possible) to provide feedback, but the main integration model is meant to be “B2B” where management is done by an organisation.

Do you produce ODRL?
Yes, the metalanguage is ‘almost’ ODRL, it removes as much of the decorations and repetitiveness as possible, whilst automatically making sure everything is ‘semantically coherent’.

For example, the association of the odrl:LeftOperand (or DCAT property) “language” with iso639. The environment:
works out all the ‘node’ connections that are binding (but useless to the human),
removes the need for verbose definitions,
removes the prefixing,
automatically includes the ontology on the output,
let the user ‘edit’ without having to memorise the actual codes (and there are at least 10 ISO standards that could associate with operands),
‘working in their (human) language” (although at the moment is only English, multi-language support is easy to integrate).

As (hopefully) explained, the main concern was the UX – as policies and assets get complicated, the user(s) needs a way to focus only on what matters, this requires strong support from the system. That’s why there are so many graphical ways for putting context on the subject at hand. In principle, this approach allows for that first step simplification at the (expert) user level.

It is also a set of multilevel transformations: DSL -> REST -> GraphDB -> RDF, the IDE ingests REST (simpler serialisation, which looks similar to JSON-LD). The outputs for the RDF and JSON APIs have the structure of for ODRL (it was hard to see because it was lines and lines of RDF code). DCAT Assets are generated as RDF and JSON.

Other formats (and standards like OPA) should be easy to generate.

                Again, I underestimated the 15 minute demo, as it was raised a couple of times, this was the ‘expert’ level. Current expectations are that these users require a certain starting point for knowledge and expertise with policies and assets, and building “wizards” is now easier and a natural step forward to future )novice) users to be onboarded and lifecycle expedited.

Regards.

Joshua Cornejo

marketdata

embed open standards