Re: TalentSignal: How to express that something isn't required

I have seen two ways of handling this, though neither is ideal.

In JDX, they ended up with minimum requirements, requirements, preferred
requirements, and alternative requirements. Optional would end up as
"preferred" with no minimum, I think.

We are developing our own system for dealing with this and trying to map
it to the JDX system.  In our system, the primary job requirements are
expressed as competencies, then the employer can additionally ask the
candidate to supply 3rd party proof of each competency in the form of a
degree, course completion, certification, affidavit from a prior
employer, work sample, etc (long list, and the employer decides  which
he is willing to accept).    If the employer chooses not to require
proof, then it is pretty much the same as saying this competency is not
important enough for me to make it mandatory or to check to see whether
you actually have it or not.  In other words, optional.  For optional
competencies, candidates can then either upload proof (if they happen to
have it and want to make a good impression) or self-assert (the
equivalent of providing a resume), but for an optional competency the
application is allowed to proceed without proof of this item being
supplied by the applicant.

Because we are using O'Net as the competency framework, there are a
finite number of competencies, particularly when one is working at the
level of a single occupation.  The user can store proof of each
competency as it is acquired and simply auto-forward them to employers
as needed for each job application.

Merrilea

--

Merrilea J. Mayo, Ph.D.