Re: [TalentSignal] proposal for Job Start Date

I know what you mean Vicki, and this has worried me too. I think that
JobPostings are a little different to many other things that schema.org
is used for in that there is often scope for some flexibility (more
often than in the case of offering products for sale). So, to your points:

On 06/05/2019 15:20, Vicki Tardif wrote:
> In general, schema.org <http://schema.org> has stayed away from
> boolean properties as they can't be expanded later (for example, "must
> start immediately" vs "may start immediately").

The job is available to be filled immediately. I think the implications
are that (a) the hiring organization would like someone to start as soon
as possible; (b) anyone in need of a job to start now would consider
this over a similar job with a start date in a couple of months.

> And in an open world model, it is impossible to know what an unset
> value means. In this case, it would leave readers to decipher what is
> meant if the boolean is true and a future date is given.

I think this is really an issue with the definition of jobStartDate: is
this the date before which someone must start, or before which they may
not start, or is it the precise date on which they must start. We could
cover all these options by using iso date ranges, but I don't think
there is much appetite for this. We could add Text back to the expected
range, but we know we are likely to see text values anyway and the
question is how much do we want to encourage them, and what I am hearing
from the group so far is not to encourage them.

If both a start date and immediate start are indicated I think we can
safely infer that the job is available immediately and anyone taking the
job must be able to start before the start date.

Phil