Re: Domain sketch

On 22/08/2019 17:46, Jim Goodell wrote:
> SO, I'm going to suggest we all do something *very difficult*, i.e. we
> change our own behavior. We need to change the words we use when we
> talk to each other to establish a new lexicon that will work across
> silos. It has to start with us. We should always say either
> "*Credential Definition*" or "*Credential Assertion*" never
> "Credential". We should always say either "*Competency Definition*" or
> "*Competency Assertion*", never "Competency". And we should hold each
> other accountable.

Ooh, I'm not sure about that. How do you say what it is that a
Competency Definition is defining? Do I have to say that I am learning a
Competency Definition--because that seems quite different from learning
a competency.

In the systems we create we will only have C___ Definitions and C___
Assertions, so when we are talking about what we have in those systems
that's what we should talk about. But if those are in RDF then we are in
a world where we "represent information about things that can be
/identified/ on the Web, even when they cannot be directly /retrieved/
on the Web" [1, emphasis in the original], so what we identify is the
/thing itself/.

FWIW I think a Credential Definition looks like this in JSON-LD:

{
    "@id": "http://example.org/credential/123",           // a web identifier for the thing itself
    "@type": "http://schema.org/EducationalOccupationalCredential",   // the thing is a credential
    "http://schema.org/credentialCategory": "BSc",        // various statements defining the credential
    "http://schema.org/provider": {...}
}

(You can call that a graph and give it a name if you want, or put it on
a web page and point that with the url property)

I hope that is compatible with what you were meaning: when we talk about
what we have in our systems talk about C___ Definition & C___ Assertion;
talk about Credentials and Competencies */only/* when we are talking
about what is in the outside world.

Phil

1. W3C RDF Primer, section 1 https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#intro

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in
England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,
number SC569282.