Re: Domain sketch

 +1 for Alex's remarks !
...With one important addition.
We have become comfortable with referring to "Competency" and "Credential" from one perspective or another. In the Credential Engine context we assume by default the work "Credential" means a competency description and when sitting in a W3C Verifiable Credentials group or Open  Badges workgroup we might assume it to mean an assertion. When we get in cross functional groups there will always be confusion. We should always add "Definition" or "Assertion" unless talking about the domain rather than the details of the data (and we rarely do that in this kind of group.)
SO, I'm going to suggest we all do something very difficult, i.e. we change our own behavior. We need to change the words we use when we talk to each other to establish a new lexicon that will work across silos. It has to start with us. We should always say either "Credential Definition" or "Credential Assertion" never "Credential". We should always say either "Competency Definition" or "Competency Assertion", never "Competency". And we should hold each other accountable.
If I say "Competency" or "Credential" without a qualifier please call me out and ask which one I mean.

Phil's sketch updated with this in mind...