Re: Domain sketch

Simon and I think in very similar ways on this issue (we also work
together).

At the base of my concern is reconciling the view of a competency as
something that I teach, that someone learns with the view of it as
something that can be awarded.

I think what is happening is that the same label is being used for
different things, in much the same way as we see phrases like "Bachelor
of Science in Physics" being used to mean both the degree credential and
the educational credential awarded at the end of it. A Credential is not
a LearningOpportunity / EducationalProgramme, but they may share the
same name.

So can we try to build on some definitions?

For me (and Simon, as below):

a /Competency/ is the ability to do something, to posses a skill or
knowledge (etc.). It has to be demonstrable to be of any interest to the
outside world, but it is fundamentally a property of an agent (person,
organization or machine--mostly we're interested in people here, I
think). This is what I teach or what I learn.

/C//ompetency definitions/ can be published in frameworks, which gives
us a representation of competency that we can use when resolving/looking
up the identifier for a competency. So competencies are an intangible
thing that a person may learn, but the competency frameworks are
creative works with authors, publishers etc.

a /Credential/ is recognition of one or more competencies, however large
or small, formal or informal. Degree to NanoBadge (choose your own non
trademark term for the lower end).

I think this accords with what Alex says in:

> What I believe both Merrilea and myself are asserting is the example
> you gave IS a credential/achievement assertion  just of a smaller
> scope and different type.

Phil

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in
England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,
number SC569282.