Re: Domain sketch

It's very understandable that people elide certain words if there is no
confusion in their home context. In this case, though, I think it would be
really helpful to distinguish three things which could loosely be called
"competency", and which I think different people are referring to at
different times.

1. A natural "competency": a property of an agent, as in the question "do
you have this competency" meaning "are you competent" rather than "are you
qualified/certificated"
2. A "competency definition" (or "competency description"): a form of words
describing a competency without reference to the person that may or may not
have it.
3. A "certificate of competency" or "competency certificate": something
like a credential (I have no opinion about whether it is a credential or
not) that means that some organisation attests that a person has a
competency.

You could also have an abstract "competency certificate description" but I
think that is less helpful.

To my reading, Alex so far has been closest to keeping these distinctions
clear.

Does that help?

Simon

--
from Simon Grant +44 7710031657 (I'm "asimong" with many services)