Re: Domain sketch

From: Simon Grant <asimong@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 15:38:05 +0100
To: Alex Jackl <alex@bardicsystems.com>
Cc: "Tyszko, Jason" <jtyszko@uschamber.com>, Phil Barker <phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk>, "public-talent-signal@w3.org" <public-talent-signal@w3.org>
It's very understandable that people elide certain words if there is no
confusion in their home context. In this case, though, I think it would be
really helpful to distinguish three things which could loosely be called
"competency", and which I think different people are referring to at
different times.

1. A natural "competency": a property of an agent, as in the question "do
you have this competency" meaning "are you competent" rather than "are you
qualified/certificated"
2. A "competency definition" (or "competency description"): a form of words
describing a competency without reference to the person that may or may not
have it.
3. A "certificate of competency" or "competency certificate": something
like a credential (I have no opinion about whether it is a credential or
not) that means that some organisation attests that a person has a
competency.

You could also have an abstract "competency certificate description" but I
think that is less helpful.

To my reading, Alex so far has been closest to keeping these distinctions
clear.

Does that help?

Simon

--
from Simon Grant +44 7710031657 (I'm "asimong" with many services)

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image002.jpg)