Re: Informal CfC on views on allowing abandoned SysApps specs to move to a community group

On 2015-03-19 17:35, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> 19.03.2015, 23:35, "Wayne Carr" <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com>:
>>
>> The purpose of this informal CfC is to determine consensus on the
>> following proposition:
>> The members of the SysApps WG support permanently stopping SysApps
>> work on the following specs: Contacts, Messaging, Telephony.
> There is no SysApps work if there is no group. However, we don't
> support W3C formally renouncing any intention to work on these
> specifications.

I didn't realize what you meant when I first read your comment.  I just
realized the word "permanently" was there.  I don't know why I wrote
"permanently" stopping.  It wasn't meant as a pledge never to work in
the area again :)  What I meant was the work was really stopping with no
plans to work on it again, not just pausing to wait for something (like
inspiration) as can sometimes happen.  If the work went to a Community
Group, the WG (or some other WG) at some later time could take either
the SysApps version or the newer version in the Community Group and work
on it again.  That can be a good reason to move something to a Community
Group until it's better understood how to proceed, which isn't the case
here, but shouldn't be excluded.  The CG licensing is designed to make
it easy for WGs to pick specs up.  So, to clarify, what's meant above is
that the WG is stopping work with no plans to continue again, but not a
pledge never to work in that area again or never to adopt the Community
Group spec.  Formally renouncing any intention to ever work in an area I
wouldn't support either - unless it was something inherently evil :)