Re: [Task Scheduler] scheduling flexibility

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM, John Mellor <johnme@google.com> wrote:
>> we need to clarify use cases in terms of less time sensitive case.
>
> Non-time-sensitive background tasks could work well for syncing data in the
> background for later viewing offline:
> - Social network stream
> - Feed reader
> - Weather app fetching forecast for your location
> - Maps caching nearby map tiles
> - etc
>
> Meanwhile, the only use cases I can come up with for time-sensitive tasks
> are:
> - Calendar event notifications
> - Alarm clock
> - Countdown timer (egg timer)
> And in all 3 of these cases a user-visible notification will be shown, which
> I why I suggested the split in:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sysapps/2013Nov/0039.html
>
> Do you have other use cases for time-sensitive tasks that wouldn't involve
> showing a user-visible notification?

Automatic scheduling of a telephony call(back) in case of busy tone.
Tolerates delay in the range of a few seconds, but not in the range of
minutes. There is no notification, the dialer takes care of visuals.

Similar use case is (optional) automatic re-sending of failed messages
on protocols that do not support re-sending from a server.

Scheduling network connection attempts.

Other cron-like scheduled jobs (expirations, things requiring action
from user, etc), which when activated, need to be in [close-to] exact
time. Could these be done via calendar events?

Regards,
Zoltan