Re: w3.org URIs for editor's drafts on GitHub

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 18:32:24 +0100
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Dave Raggett wrote:

> I am pleased to announce that the phase 1 editor's drafts all now have
> w3.org (http://w3.org) URIs thanks to some rewrite rules and a .htaccess file that
> places the drafts under the URI for the SysApps home page:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/runtime/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/manifest/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/app-uri/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/web-alarms/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/contacts-manager-api/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/messaging/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/telephony/
> http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/raw-sockets/
>
> The rewrite rules direct the W3C server to act as a proxy for GitHub,
> e.g. for runtime this maps to http://sysapps.github.io/runtime/
>
> This avoids the need for the sysapps.org (http://sysapps.org) domain or for a corresponding
> submdomain on w3.org (http://w3.org), both of which would be a hard sell to convince the
> W3C management.
>
> The next step is to update each of the drafts to use the above links for
> the latest version of the editor's draft.
>
> Note please remember the trailing / for now, although I hope to make
> that optional with a bit of fiddling with the rewrite rules.

I think this is a good compromise (and should address the issues Chaals raised at the last F2F). Thanks for investigating and setting this up, Dave!

The *.sysapps.org domain will continue to work for our internal stuff and short cuts. But "officially" we should only use the links above for specs.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres