Re: RE : [sysapps/raw socket api]: New version based on Madrid meeting comments and comments from Ke-Fong Lin

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Ke-Fong Lin <ke-fong.lin@4d.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
> > It's still not clear to me how to use the localAddress/localPort
> arguments for TCPSocket and UDPSocket.
> > What are the use cases for these options?
>
> Local address is needed to select which network interface to use. On
> mobile device, that would be WIFI, 3G, Bluetooth.
> Local port is needed for multicast receiving mainly. With TCP, client
> almost always use a random port selected by OS.
>
> >How will the app know what values to specify for those arguments? Are you
> expecting that we'll have some additional spec that will provide
> information about which local addresses are available and where they are
> connected?
>
> Yes, we've avoided that question currently. No localAddress set, means
> "default" network interface.
> A way to enumerate available interface(s) would be helpful.

It seems to me that enumerating the local interfaces  will be provided by
the Network Information API which is a planned as a Phase2 items, so
perhaps we should postpone this use-case for Phase2.

Regards,
  Laszlo