Re: Single instance mode vs multiple instances in manifest spec

2013/4/23 Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM, John Lyle <john.lyle@cs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> Currently in Tizen, user can only have one instance of an app running. If
>>> they try to launch it again, then the already running instance will be
>>> brought to the foreground.
>>> If an app is used as an intent service/provider, it may happen that it
>>> will be handling multiple requests at the same time, which means that there
>>> will be multiple instances of the same application running. In this case the
>>> origin is the same for all running instances.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> A follow-up question for both Tizen and FirefoxOS systems -
>>
>> Can devices have more than one version of the same application installed at
>> the same time?  And can there be independent instances of each version
>> running?  E.g., can I have version 0.1 and version 0.2 of app://example.com
>> installed, and then run two instances of version 0.1 and two instances of
>> version 0.2 (making four total instance) at the same time?
>
> I think we should prohibit runtimes from allowing two versions to run
> at the same time. Two versions running at the same time is really hard
> for apps to support any time both instances are trying to interact
> with locally stored data, such as data stored in IndexedDB. You can
> easily end up with the two versions using different schemas and
> stomping on each other's data.
I agree.

>> I'm trying to get the cardinality of entities right: for every installed
>> application there may be multiple runtime instances.  Every installed
>> application will have one origin.  But can two or more installed
>> applications (not instances) have the *same origin*?
>
> I don't see how this question relates the the above question, but the
> answer is yes. Two hosted apps can come from the same origin. And
> if/when we support "real" origins for packaged apps, two packaged apps
> can come from the same origin, or a packaged app can come from the
> same origin as a hosted app.
Now this is confusing.
IIRC FxOS had the restriction of one app per origin?
What do you mean by "real origins for packaged apps"?
And, I guess related to the previous question, how can a packaged app
share origin with a hosted app?

Are you going to propose some different solution to the app: scheme
based origin?

/Janusz