Re: OWL-S question: multiple atomic processes

On Nov 22, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Jo Vermeulen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about OWL-S. Is it possible to define a service as
> consisting of several different atomic processes?

Yes.

> I don't mean atomic
> processes composed into one composite process.

Even in addition to that, though it's probably not what you want :)

> If I use OWL-S API to convert GoogleSearch.wsdl [1] to OWL-S, I get
> three different files, one for each operation (doSpellingSuggestion,
> doGetCachedPage, doGoogleSearch). What I want is to combine these
> atomic processes into one service description.
[snip]

Well, there's no trouble at all in putting them in *one file*. That's
easy. If you want to have a single "Service" object "represent" three
distinct bits of functionality, there are, as I said, a number of
ways to do it. For one, you could use a Choice composite process.
While in a sense it "composes them into one composite process" it
also models what you're asking for...a service that can provide any
of three distinct bits of functionality.

I would say that this is the canonical way. But, just because I said
so :) Well, other than having a file with three service objects in
it, which, of course, could share properties.

You could "abuse" simple processes :)

You could make an object "service collection" that hung certain
metadata off the grouping. This would be an extension, of course.

Cheers,
Bijan.