Re: Difference between Agents and (Semantic) Web Services

Well, not entirely. The concept of agents - and multi-agent systems (MAS) in
particular - is that of asynchronous autonomous processes. Agents do things
based on their own view of the world and their goals (some call them beliefs
and desires). They may offer services to others and use the W3C standards
for doing so. MAS is more of a concept and WS are a particular technology,
so it is not that easy to compare them. Nonetheless, I would suggest that
MAS includes WS. This is also understandable from a historic point of view.
Agent theory dates back to the early eighties (if not earlier) and there are
many implementations of agent systems that demonstrate ideas that have later
become Web standards. Agent-based systems use asynchronous distributed
message-passing for coordination in a peer-to-peer fashion. They often use
ontologies for describing the semantics of the message content, and so
forth.

The description of agents in the W3C web architecture document is a very
weak one and does not take into account the concept of autonomous agents. It
only looks at agents as system-user interfaces, which is a big shortcoming.
Unfortunately, there is still not a wide-spread standard for (mobile) agents
on the Web, but many technologies can be used to implement them, such as
OWL, SOAP, WSDL, Grid Computing, etc. as they have been influenced by the
MAS concept for a great deal.

What do you think?

kind regards
André

--
Dr. Andre P. Meyer                        http://python.openspace.nl/meyer
TNO Defence, Security and Safety           http://www.tno.nl/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't
previously aware of. - Douglas Adams