Re: Semantics of WSDL vs. semantics of service

From: Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:33:31 +0100
To: "Shi, Xuan" <xshi@GEO.WVU.edu>
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:57:07AM -0500, Shi, Xuan wrote:
> Carine,
>
> Thanks very much for your kind information. I am glad to see we eventually
> have something based on the same ground: we can separate service semantic
> description from service development framework. Thus service semantics can
> be neutral and independent from service providers.

The semantics can be described by a person and the actual services developed
by others, indeed.

> Furthermore, my question is, if we can describe the service semantics in the
> external resource, then why do we need WSDL again to transfer the message
> between service provider and requester, since once we can describe the
> service, then we can invoke the service directly over HTTP without the
> serialization/deserialization process?

You don't need WSDL to transfer messages, but to describe them and how to
invoke the services.
If I know only a URI and the meaning (e.g. addition of 2 numbers), how would
I know how to write the message to send to the service, and how would I
know what I get back?