Re: Options we have with respect to the draft charters (i.e., RE: [fwd] Draft charters for work on Semantics for WS)

Hi Amit -

I assume you are referring to messages posted recently by Steve,
Massimo, and me, which have included observations about overlapping
technical ideas in OWL-S and WSDL-S.  With all respect, I don't think
it's fair to characterize or dismiss these messages as mere academic
debates.  In fact, none of these messages is primarily concerned with
the question of attribution.  Most of them are concerned with the
question of whether OWL-S should be considered as an input to the
working group.  Surely that is a legitimate question for discussion with
regards to a proposed WG charter.  In these messages, the primary point
is simply this: since OWL-S proposed some of the same central approaches
as are in WSDL-S, why should it not also be considered as an input?
(There could of course be some qualifications as to which parts are
relevant to the WG.)

One recent message from me:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2005Nov/0008.html
is focused on clearing up some possible points of confusion about the
relationship between OWL-S and WSDL-S.  My primary concern there is to
show that (parts of) OWL-S and WSDL-S can in fact be used together.  My
intention is to set the stage for fruitful collaboration in the context
of this WG, if it happens.

Note that the last third or so of the abstract of the WSDL-S submission
is devoted to an attempt to argue that WSDL-S is superior to OWL-S.  In
such a case, some response in a public forum may well be expected!  The
abstract is the most visible part of a document.  I would ask you to be
sensitive to the fact that the WSDL-S submission, especially if it
becomes an input to a W3C WG, will be visited many times by many people.

Best regards,
David