Re: [fwd] Draft charters for work on Semantics for WS

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:28:11AM -0000, Battle, Steven Andrew wrote:

> The WSDL-S team openly acknowledge the strong relationship between
> WSDL-S and OWL-S, so this should be clarified in the SAW working group
> charter, which currently recognises only once source of input. One can
> see the core elements of WSDL-S in the OWL-S submission. This identifies
> OWL-S extensions for WSDL message (owl-s-parameter), binding and
> operation (owl-s-process) definitions.
>
> The relevant sections of the OWL-S submission can be found in section
> 6.2
> http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-OWL-S-20041122#SECTION00062000000
> 000000000
>
> This proposal is exactly along the lines of the WSDL working group
> charter. I feel strongly that in the interests of clarity the sentence
> below in the charter should be revised:
>
> "A Member Submission, WSDL-S, related to this work, has been
> acknowledged by W3C and should be used as one input to the Working
> Group."
>
> To something like:
>
> "Member Submissions related to this work, WSDL-S and OWL-S (see
> 'Grounding OWL-S Services with WSDL and SOAP'), have been acknowledged
> by W3C and should be used as input to the Working Group."

The question of where WSDL-S and OWL-S WSDL bindings are mentioned in
the Semantic Annotations for WSDL charter is based on the differences
between the two:

The OWL-S Submission adds the following WSDL markup:
  + message/input@owl-s-parameter identifies OWL-S input or output
    owl-s:Parameter.
  + a new value for binding/encodingStyle identifies an encoding style
    for serializing owl-s:Parameters.
  + operation@owl-s-process identifies an OWL-S atomic process.
and properties attaching a WSDL doc to a WsdlAtomicProcessGrounding and
describing that WSDL:
  wsdlVersion
  wsdlDocument
  wsdlOperation
  wsdlService
  wsdlPort
  wsdlInput &
  wsdlOutput -- WsdlInputMessageMaps describing XSLT
                transformations of I/O messages.
  wsdlInputMessage &
  wsdlOutputMessage

The WSDL-S Submission adds the following WSDL markup:
  + modelReference, I guess can be affixed to any part of the component
    model (pure speculation on my part).
  + xsd:element/schemaMappings transform (XSLT, XQuery...) to "an
    external domain model/ontology", which appears to be more XML.
  + operation/precondition &
    operation/effect in a format opaque to WSDL-S.
  + interface/category links the interface to some taxonomy opaque to
    (not specified by) WSDL-S.

I *think* that the momentum is behind adding modelReferences to WSDL
components. The charter is a test of that hypothesis.

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN