Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

Sorry to be late joining the party (I take a vacation and world war
three breaks out!), but I feel compelled to add my "twopennyworth" (as
we say). Much of this has been said before (by Jim, Bijan and Holger),
but I will try to summarise...

Regarding DLP under Horn (equivalently DL/FOL) and LP semantics, it is
true that *under certain assumptions* the two semantics are
indistinguishable, but this does *not* mean that they are equivalent.
The assumption being made in this case (as Bijan has pointed out) is
that only ground entailment will be considered. This is a rather strong
assumption: it is common to compensate for weak representation
languages (such as DLP) by providing much more expressive query
languages (e.g., the case of SQL), and with more expressive languages
we can easily distinguish two different semantics (as illustrated in
[1]).

This is particularly important in a layered architecture, where the
increased expressive power of higher layers will naturally allow the
two different semantics to be distinguished. This was the main point of
[1], i.e., that we should not fool ourselves about the degree of
interoperability that would be provided by the architecture proposed in
the so-called "updated layer cake". Such interoperability only exists
so long as neither tower extends above the DLP level *and* so long as
we only allow for very weak query languages; DLP does not, therefore,
provide a suitable foundation for a layered architecture, as higher
layers (or more expressive query languages) might make false
assumptions about the intended semantics of DLP ontologies.

Regarding the existing layered architecture of OWL, and the proposed
extension to SWRL, nobody (well not me anyway) claims that it is
perfect, and there will (as Holger has pointed out) no doubt be some
compatibility issues between different tools, but the situation is
hardly comparable to the one that is being proposed in the "updated
layer cake": as we have seen, even the very limited degree of
interoperability suggested by this diagram turns out to be a chimera.
In contrast, RDF, OWL and SWRL share a common semantic framework, and
allow for a relatively clean layering: OWL-Lite, OWL-DL and SWRL are
layered on a subset of RDF, but share the same semantics (and it can be
syntactically determined when RDF ontologies are within this subset).

Regarding the complexity of SWRL, yes it is a complex language, but as
seen from presentations at the rules workshop (and as pointed out by
Holger), some users *need* this level of complexity. For them, it is
essential to have a more expressive language that layers on top of OWL.
Should we thus forge ahead with the development of *two* fundamentally
incompatible rules languages? Surely (as Jim has pointed out) we can do
better than that, even if it requires a little more research effort!

Regards,

Ian

[1]
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Publications/download/2005/HPPH05.pdf