Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

> Michael Kifer wrote:
>
> >I think the (nonmonotonic) rule-based side of the stack is very mature (I
> >dare say more mature than the "other" side :-)
> >
> Well, do you think that nonmonotonic systems (that change the
> derivability relation) are preferred ?

Some types of reasoning require classical logic and some require
nonmonotonic logic. The primary reason for the usefulness of the latter is
that it is impractical (and often impossible) to specify all the negative
information explicitly.  In this case, inference is made by closing off the
explicit positive info.  This is similar to some forms of human reasoning.

> There are those that suggest that a classical monotonic reasoning system
> over an instance model that changes over time only `appears` to be
> nonmonotonic . . .

The main reason for using default negation is not because we want the
system to behave nonmonotonically. The main reason (at least in the LP and
database paradigms) is what I explained above.

	--michael