Re: Embedding an upper Ontology into OWL-S

On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Peyman Nasirifard wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can an upper Ontology be embedded into OWL-S?

Why do you want to *embed* it? Surely you just want to *use* it in some
owl-s description.

To do so, just do owl:imports on both the owl-s and your desired
ontology.

> Suppose that, we
> have an upper Ontology for finite state machines (FSM). This Ontology
> located here:
>
> http://www.l3s.de/~dolog/fsm/fsm.owl
>
> How can we get OWL representation of FSM within OWL-S?

Imports. (That's pretty much the only way in vanilla owl. There are
other ideas floating about, including our work on E-connections:
	http://www.mindswap.org/2004/multipleOnt/

> I guess I can
> somehow embed this Ontology to Process.owl. Any idea?

As Drew said...why embed? If you just want to *use*, then you should
import (or econnect). If you want to align some part of OWL-S with the
upper ontology (a la what some folks did with Dolce, see:
	http://www.daml.ecs.soton.ac.uk/SSS-SWS04/23.pdf)
then one of these combination techniques is still perfectly fine.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.