Re: A bunch of OWL-S difficulties

From: David Martin <martin@AI.SRI.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:05:42 -0700
To: Daniel Elenius <daele@ida.liu.se>
CC: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Daniel Elenius wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Here is a whole bunch of issues/questions/comments on OWL-S that I wish
> to discuss. Please dig in on any of them that you like. (The comments
> below refer to OWL-S 1.1 beta.)
>
> .... stuff omitted
>
> 5) Split+Join vs Unordered
> What is the difference between these two control constructs? Can I get
> an example to show the difference?

 From the technical overview, it appears to me that there's only one
difference: split+join indicates *concurrent* execution of a group of
activities, whereas unordered is non-committal on that point.  That is,
unordered is "looser", in that it could allow for either a sequential or
a concurrent execution (or perhaps some arbitrary combination of the 2
approaches).  (Thus, informally, one could think of the set of unordered
executions as a superset of the set of split+join executions.)

As to how often anyone would care about this distinction, or if it
should be retained, that's a separate matter I guess.  Comments are
welcome on this question.

Regards,
David