Re: granularity/definition of a "service"

Huhns, Michael wrote:

> Thanks! /dev/null is a good example, and I withdraw my claim that a
> receive-only service would not be useful.
>
> The "display" service you describe might have no output, but it does
> have an effect, so it seems more than a simple receive.

Well, depending on one's beliefs, one might well say the same about the
"prayer service" that you suggested, Mike :-).

I like your examples, BTW.  I'm only responding because you asked me (a
few messages back) what I had in mind.

What I had in mind were services that only ever involved a single
message - such as the display service.  I was focusing on that aspect,
and ignoring the question of whether they had any effects.

Another example in this vein would be an informal "survey", like when a
TV station asks viewers to call or send email or visit a Web site to
indicate "yes" or "no" in response to some question.  If the TV station
sets up the receiving functionality as a Web service, that could be seen
as a valid example of a receive-only service. From the point of view of
an agent that is concerned with generating one of those messages,
there's nothing else for it to deal with, besides the single input
message.  That's why one could think of that as a receive-only service.

But I also consider these examples as exceptions; as I said before, in
most cases I think it is *not* appropriate to think of a receive
operation by itself as a service.

Regards,
David