Re: Polymorhpic inputs/ouputs?

On Nov 24, 2004, at 5:58 PM, Martin Gülich wrote:

> Hello!
>
> First, how do I sign up for this mail list? Since I haven´t yet,
> please answer directly to my email to.

Ok.

To subscribe, check out:
	http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/swsig/#lists

> Ok, I want to know if inputs/outputs of OWL-S services are considered
> to be polymorphic?

Yes.

> If not, is there any policy about this at all? By polymorphic I mean,
> can a service be published with an output of type ‘Parent’ but also
> reply with outputs of type ‘Father’ or ‘Mother’? Or is the type of
> input/output considered to be only of the published type and not of
> any subtypes?

Well, technically, it would depend on the type system, I guess.
However, OWL certainly does this (and not only for explicit subtypes).
XML Schema mostly does this too. So, I'd say you're covered.

> Can I read more about this anywhere?

Well, I can't seem to connect to daml.org at the moment, but there is a
section on IO typing toward the end. An appendix, I think. Disclaimer:
I wrote that section, but under a bit of duress :)

Cheers.
Bijan.