Re: [OWL-S] Negative effects/delete lists

Hi Bijan,

I wonder if we can write a tool to ensure that negative effects coding
rules are not violated?  I suspect it's doable, though computationally
intensive.

Regarding what to write in the release. I think a short warning
statement followed by details (problem statement, example, general
solution, and ontology writing tips) would be suitable.
Here's the skeleton.  Sorry it isn't filled in.  It's just
a straw proposal.

WARNING:  Negative effects of NEGATIVE EFFECTS
OWL-S enables the user to describe both the positive and
negative effects of a process.  The provision of negative
effects must be treated with care or it will lead to
counterintuitive and unintended entailments of your ontology.
For this reason, extreme care must be taken when encoding negative
effects. Below we provide an example to illustrate the problem, and
provide some coding guidelines.

Problem:
--------
<insert>

Example:
--------
<insert example>

General Solution:
Do not have effects that are complementary to the entailments of
your KB. (Similarly, don't have entailments of your KB that are
complementsOf some effects.)

Ontology Writing Tips:
- if "X" is the effect of a process, ensure "X" is not use with
  complement-of, elsewhere in the ontology
- the transitive version of the above...

Sheila