Re: Additional information in OWL-S descriptions

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:25:39 -0400
To: public-sws-ig <public-sws-ig@w3.org>

On Jul 28, 2004, at 11:14 PM, David Martin wrote:
> Matthew R Bogner wrote:
>
>> Juergen,
>> In case you are looking for a specific suggestion, I would suggest
>> rereading this specific part of the technical walk through of OWL-S,
>> (http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.0/owl-s.html#Attributes).  I
>> could imagine that you might like to put together something like this
>> into your profile ontology.
>> <profile:serviceParameter>
>>         <addParam:Computations rdf:ID="#OtherComputationProblems">
>>                 <profile:serviceParameterName>Additional Computation
>> Problems</profile:serviceParameterName>
>>                 <profile:sParameter
>> rdf:resource="&concepts;#OtherGAMSproblems" />
>>         </addParam:Computations>
>> </profile:serviceParameter>
>> Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong or misinterpreted the
>> example.  Have a look at the BravoAirProfile.owl  file in the
>> examples section for a good example of how they use the
>> serviceParameter property in relation to the GeographicRadius
>> example.
>
> An alternative to using serviceParameter, which I personally think is
> preferable in many situations, is to create a subclass of Profile
> (e.g. MathServiceProfile), and then define whatever properties you
> like for that subclass (e.g., algorithm, taxonomicReference).  This
> approach is described and illusrated (simply) under Profile Hierarchy
> on the examples page:
>   http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1B/examples.html

Of course, there is no need to define a *subclass* before adding
additional properties. Just use the properties (with, perhaps, a
declaration of ObjectProperty or DatatypeProperty to stay in OWL DL).

Indeed, it's often a good methodology to work from a propertycentric
view and define the appropriate classes later.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.