Re: Nonmonotonic rules

>Pat --
>
>How about Heflin's Local Closed World paper [1] ?

Yes, just what I had in mind. I hereby express public shame at not
having noticed it previously.

OK, then, my whine below should be to the effect, why aren't the
various proponents of nonmon rules, etc., proposing something like
this, instead of trying to sell nonmon as though it were some kind of
new age logic? Notice that Jeff's proposal gets the basic dynamics
exactly right. It is monotonic but it supports (some) closed-world
reasoning.

The touted advantages of nonmon are really nothing to do with
nonmonotonicity as such.  Being nonmonotonic, in itself, provides no
discernable benefits to anyone. Being able to use closed-world
reasoning, unique-name reasoning, default reasoning, etc., in
situations where you know they are OK to use, provides great
benefits.  What we need are ways to be able to take advantage of the
computational merits of such efficient reasoning processes, but
within a globally monotonic system of information exchange. Ideas
like Jeffs are exactly what we need to be seeking here.  Arguments
which treat 'monotonic' as a generic tar-brush, such as

http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof/paps/beyond-mon-inh-wking-pap-081603.pdf

are not; they simply serve to muddy the discussion, cause needless
polarization and confusion, and get critical ideas muddled.

OK, end of rant. Thanks for the feedback.

Pat Hayes

>It gets the best of both worlds (:-) , particularly if you combine
>it with English-like rules as in the Internet Business Logic system
>[2].
>
>The rules can conclude things like "assuming that nothing has
>changed on this list of URIs, the answer to your question is..."
>One can also get an explanation, showing any LCW assumptions made in
>getting the answer.

I havnt looked at the details, but it sounds very neat.