Re: Nonmonotonic rules

Pat,

This is a powerful statement, but I would like to see it backed up with
examples of purely monotonic rules that are worth publishing.

The brittleness argument against non-monotonic reasoning is a red
herring. People use non-monotonic reasoning in their daily life because it
is useful most of the time. I see no reason why Semantic Web should be
different.

While I haven't seen any convincing examples of monotonic rules that would
cause me to want to send my agent and scoop them up, I do see reasons why I
might want to have non-monotonic knowledge to be published. This is
because most (if not all) rule-based applications that I've looked at use
some kind of non-monotonicity. If anything, I'd like them to be published
so I could steal them :-)

Seriously, though, suppose there is a service, say, a travel reservation
service that specializes in multi-segment complex travel arrangements.
Of necessity, such a service is going to use a form of closed-world
assumption, since it will be looking only at a small subset of all
available resources and make its recommendations based on that incomplete
knowledge. If it can't find a car rental somewhere, it will assume there
isn't one and will try to find the next best alternative.

Why would I want to have some specification of such a service published?
Because I might be able to reason about how the service works. This service
may require multiple interactions and my credit card may be charged several
times. I might determine, for example, that the service won't charge my
card unless there is a way to back out of the corresponding part of the
deal or there is travel insurance provided, or ....

	--michael